If your only conviction consists of a single indictable offense and you have not been convicted of more than two disorderly or petty disorderly offenses you may file a petition for expungement in the county where your conviction occurred. You may also petition to expunge up to two disorderly or petty disorderly offenses. If you have been convicted of two or more indictable offenses in New Jersey or any other state you may not expunge those convictions. In most circumstances you will have to wait 10 years from the time from the time you were convicted, completed probation or were released from jail (whichever is later) before filing your petition. If you commit any disorderly offenses in the interim the court may believe you have not been rehabilitated and deny your petition. In certain circumstances the 10 year waiting period can be reduced to 5 years if the court finds the expungement is in the public interest.